Fall Protection Safety Monitoring Systems
Safety monitoring systems can be used only for low-slope roofing work. When using a safety monitoring system, the employer must designate a competent person to oversee worker safety and educate the workers about site-specific fall hazards.
The safety monitor has the following responsibilities:
- Fully recognize all fall hazards.
- Alert workers when they are behaving in an unsafe manner, or when it appears they are unaware of a fall hazard.
- Remain in close proximity to workers, close enough to speak with them, and on the same work surface.
- Be solely focused on the workers he or she is overseeing, with no other responsibilities at the work site.
Employers must ensure that the following requirements are met:
- Mechanical equipment is not used or stored in the area where a safety monitoring system is being used.
- Only the necessary personnel are allowed to enter the area where workers are being protected by a safety monitor. No other workers may enter.
- All workers have been made aware that they must comply with all fall hazard warnings issued by the safety monitor.
To learn more about Fall Protection visit our OSHA Construction Fall Protection Online Training & Certification Course web page.