Who Is Taking This Course? (required)
Select this if you are purchasing this course to take yourself. It will automatically be assigned to you.
Yourself & Others
Select this if you are purchasing more then one of these courses for both yourself and others. One will be assigned to you automatically, and you can assign the remainder at any time after you have completed the purchase.
Select this if you are purchasing one or more of this course for others. You can assign them at any time after you have completed the purchase.
This online DOT Hazmat Transportation Carrier Requirements (Highway) course satisfies the modal–specific training requirements found in Part 177 and Part 172, Subpart H of the Hazardous Materials Regulations, (HMR; 49 CFR Parts 100-185) and the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSR; Parts 300- 399).
Who must take this course?
According to the DOT: Both carriers and shippers are responsible for ensuring their Hazmat drivers and employees are properly trained as required by the HMR.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
Specific topics covered in this course include:
- About This Course
- Course Objectives
- Introduction to DOT Carrier Road Training
- Incidents and Statistics
- Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR)
- Regulatory Agencies
- Training Requirements
- Training Programs
- Additional Motor Carrier Requirements
- Training Records
- 49 CFR Parts 300-399
- FMCSR Part 382
- FMCSR Part 383
- FMCSR Part 390
- FMCSR Part 391
- FMCSR Part 392
- FMCSR Part 397
- Motor Carrier Safety Act of 1990
- Hazardous Materials Table (HMT)
- Columns 1-10 of the HMT
- Appendix A and B
- How to Use the HMT
- Hazard Classes
- Nine Hazard Classes
- Loading and Unloading
- Attendance Requirements for Cargo Tanks
- Special Loading and Unloading Requirements
- Class 1—Explosive Materials
- Class 2—Gases
- Class 3—Flammable and Combustible Liquids
- Selected Class 4 and 5 Material
- Class 8—Corrosive Materials
- Division 2.3 and Division 6.1
- Class 7—Radioactive Material
- Exclusive Use vs. Sole Use
- Segregation Table
- Table Legend
- Compatibility Table
- Marking, Labeling, and Placarding
- Non-Bulk Markings
- Bulk Markings
- Vehicle Identification
- Hazardous Materials Safety Permit
- Radioactive Materials
- Prohibited Placarding
- Placarding Tables
- Placarding Table 1 and 2
- Dangerous Placard
- Placarding Subsidiary Hazards
- Placard Specifications
- Motor Vehicles in Emergency Situations
- Broken or Leaking Packages
- Disabled Motor Vehicles
- Motor Vehicles Carrying Passengers for Hire
- Shipping Papers and Incident Reporting
- Shipping Papers
- Shipping Paper Offered to Rail Carrier
- Emergency Response Information
- Shipper's Certification
- Incident Reporting
- Security Awareness
- Security Plan Requirements
- Security Plan Elements
- Security Training
- Potential Threats
- Safety Precautions
- Additional Resources
Our DOT Hazmat Transportation – Carrier Requirements (Highway) Training course consists of content, graphics, audio, self check questions, and a final exam.
It will take a MINIMUM of 2 hours to complete this online course. The student may log on and off as needed. A bookmark will be set so when they log back in they will return to where they left off.
We have no restrictions on how long a person takes to complete a course.
Likewise, if you are purchasing for others, we have no time limit on assigning courses. So you can purchase a larger quantity then you currently need and take advantage of volume discounts.
According to the DOT,
Each hazardous materials employee must be periodically retrained at least every three years.
Upon successful completion each student will have immediate access to a printable DOT Hazmat Transportation – Carrier Requirements (Highway) Training certificate and wallet card.
Each student will receive 0.2 CEUs (or 2 CMEs) from Compliance Training Online® for completing this course.