Who Is Taking This Course? (required)
Select this if you are purchasing this course to take yourself. It will automatically be assigned to you.
Yourself & Others
Select this if you are purchasing more then one of these courses for both yourself and others. One will be assigned to you automatically, and you can assign the remainder at any time after you have completed the purchase.
Select this if you are purchasing one or more of this course for others. You can assign them at any time after you have completed the purchase.
California has implemented its own OSHA-approved state regulations regarding bloodborne pathogens: California Code of Regulations, Title 8, Section 5193, also known as 8 CCR 5193 for short. This course will focus on the Cal/OSHA regulations rather than the federal regulations.
Who must take this course?
The Cal/OSHA bloodborne pathogen regulations, 8 CCR 5193, require employees in potentially affected industries to understand the epidemiology, symptoms, and mode of transmission of bloodborne pathogens.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
Specific topics covered in this course include:
- About This Course
- Course Objectives
- Introduction to Bloodborne Pathogens
- Key Terms
- High-risk Jobs
- Other Potentially Infectious Materials
- Major Bloodborne Pathogens
- Major Causes of Exposure to Bloodborne Pathogens
- Sharps Injury Statistics
- Applicable Regulations
- Bloodborne Pathogens
- The Three Main Pathogens-HBV, HCV, and HIV
- Employer Responsibilities
- Exposure Control Plan
- Sharps Injury Log
- Engineering and Work Practice Controls
- Needleless Systems
- Needle Devices
- Selecting and Evaluating Engineered Sharp Protection
- Prohibited Practices
- Handling Contaminated Sharps
- Handling Other Waste
- Handling Specimens and Contaminated Equipment
- Cleaning and Decontaminating the Workplace
- Other Safety Measures
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Other Personal Protective Equipment
- Respiration Devices
- Research Laboratories and Production Facilities
- General Practices
- Training Requirements
- Production Facilities
- Additional Resources
Our Cal/OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens Training course consists of content, graphics, audio, self-checked non-scored questions, and a final exam.
It will take a MINIMUM of 2 hours to complete this online course. The student may log on and off as needed. A bookmark will be set so when they log back in they will return to where they left off.
We have no restrictions on how long a person takes to complete a course.
Likewise, if you are purchasing for others, we have no time limit on assigning courses. So you can purchase a larger quantity then you currently need and take advantage of volume discounts.
According to Title 8 CCR
, Section 5193 (g) Communication of Hazards to Employees.
(B) Training shall be provided as follows:
- At the time of initial assignment to tasks where occupational exposure may take place;
- At least annually thereafter.
Upon successful completion each student will have immediate access to a printable Cal/OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens Training certificate and wallet card.
Each student will receive 0.2 CEUs (or 2 CMEs) from Compliance Training Online® for completing this course.