Select this if you are purchasing this course to take yourself. It will automatically be assigned to you.
Yourself & Others
Select this if you are purchasing more then one of these courses for both yourself and others. One will be assigned to you automatically, and can assign the remainder at any time after you have completed the purchase.
Select this if you are purchasing one or more of this course for others. You can assign them at any time after you have completed the purchase.
Enter the number of persons who will be taking this course.
This online course satisfies the training requirements for the Cal/OSHA Title 8 CCR, Section 5157 & 5158 Permit-required and Non-permit Confined Spaces Standard.
Who must take this course?
This training is required for persons supervising confined space entry, entrants - employees entering and working within a confined space, and attendants - those persons tasked with assisting with the entry, but not actually entering themselves.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
It will take a MINIMUM of 2 hours to complete this online course. The student may log on and off as needed. A bookmark will be set so when they log back in they will return to where they left off.
Upon successful completion each student will have immediate access to a Cal/OSHA Regulations Confined Space Entry Training printable certificate and wallet card.
We have no restrictions on how long a person takes to complete a course.
Likewise, if you are purchasing for others, we have no time limit on assigning courses. So you can purchase a larger quantity then you currently need and take advantage of volume discounts.
Each student will receive 0.2 CEUs (or 2 CMEs) from Compliance Training Online® for completing this course.
Our Cal/OSHA Permit required and Non-permit Confined Space Entry Training course consists of content, graphics, audio, self-check non-scored questions, and a final exam.
This online course provides basic safety training to help you understand the risk factors associated with confined spaces, with case studies and quizzes to help reinforce understanding. The course will review the common atmospheric and physical hazards in confined spaces, best practices for controlling or eliminating hazards, and the requirements set forth by California confined spaces regulations.
Specific topics covered in this course include:
- About This Course
- Course Objectives
- Introduction to Cal/OSHA Confined Spaces Safety
- Cal/OSHA Confined Spaces State Plan
- Key Terms
- Confined Spaces Fatality Statistics
- Confined Spaces Overview
- Types of Confined Spaces
- Examples of Confined Spaces
- Dangers of Confined Spaces
- Types of Hazards: Atmospheric Hazards
- Oxygen Deficiency Hazard
- Oxygen Enrichment Hazard
- Flammable Gases and Vapors Hazard
- Toxic Air Contaminants Hazard
- Physical Hazards: Engulfment Hazard
- Other Physical Hazards
- Confined Spaces Safety Controls
- Reasons Fatalities Occur in Confined Spaces
- Requirements for Employers
- Title 8 CCR, Section 5157 - Permit-Required Confined Spaces
- Identification of Permit-Required Confined Spaces
- Required Elements of an Entry Permit
- Alternative to Permit Space Compliance
- The Permit-Required Confined Space Program
- Requirements of a Confined Space Program
- Employee Training
- Non-Entry Rescue
- Title 8 CCR, Section 5158 - Other Confined Space Operations
- Information and Training for Employees
- Pre-Entry Provisions
- Entry Into and Work Within Confined Spaces with Poor Conditions
- Contract Work in Confined Spaces
- Emergency Response
- Requirements for Employees
- Authorized Entrants
- Additional Resources
Employee training must be provided in four situations:
- Before the employee is first assigned duties under this regulation
- Before there is a change in assigned duties
- Whenever there is a change in permit space operations that presents a hazard for which an employee has not previously been trained
- Whenever the employer has reason to believe either that there are deviations from the permit space entry procedures or that there are inadequacies in the employee's knowledge or use of these procedures
Other related Compliance Training Online® courses (see our complete list of courses) include:
- Cal/OSHA Asbestos Awareness
- Cal/OSHA Benzene Safety
- Cal/OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens
- Cal/OSHA Cadmium Safety
- Cal/OSHA Construction Confined Space
- Cal/OSHA Construction Fall Protection
- Cal/OSHA Construction Lead Exposure
- Cal/OSHA Cotton Dust Safety
- Cal/OSHA Electrical Safety
- Cal/OSHA Heat Stress/Illness Prevention
- Cal/OSHA Process Safety Management
- Cal/OSHA Respiratory Protection
- Cal/OSHA Respiratory Protection in Healthcare
- OSHA Cold Stress & Injury Safety
- OSHA Construction Asbestos Hazards
- OSHA Water Safety, Drowning, Hazards
- OSHA Electrical Safety
- OSHA Eye & Face Protection
- OSHA GHS Hazard Communication (Right to Know)
- OSHA Labor & Industry Ergonomics
- OSHA Outdoor Biological Hazards
- OSHA Heat Stress & Illness Safety
- OSHA Slips, Trips & Falls - Walking Working Surfaces
- Workplace First Aid