Who Is Taking This Course? (required)
Select this if you are purchasing this course to take yourself. It will automatically be assigned to you.
Yourself & Others
Select this if you are purchasing more then one of these courses for both yourself and others. One will be assigned to you automatically, and you can assign the remainder at any time after you have completed the purchase.
Select this if you are purchasing one or more of this course for others. You can assign them at any time after you have completed the purchase.
In 1989 OSHA issued the Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response Standard, Title 29 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), commonly known as CFR Part 1910.120. The purpose of this standard is to protect workers who are exposed to hazardous waste and to set forth regulations on how to safely handle and dispose of it. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulates hazardous waste under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA, which is pronounced rick-ra) to make sure that wastes are safely supervised and managed for the protection of human health and the environment.
Who must take this course?
OSHA instituted a standard that requires each employer to develop and implement a written Safety and Health Program. The primary purpose of the program is to prevent workplace injuries, illnesses, and deaths; and to prevent the suffering and financial hardship these events can cause workers, their families, and employers.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
Specific topics covered in this course include:
- About This Course
- Course Objectives
- Introduction to OSHA Hazardous Waste Safety Training
- Key Terms
- Hazardous Waste Statistics
- Purpose of OSHA Regulations
- Health and Environmental Effects of Hazardous Waste Exposure
- Written Safety and Health Program
- Program Requirements
- Work Plan
- Site Evaluation and Control
- Site-Specific Safety and Health Plan
- Training Program Requirements
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Program
- Monitoring Air Quality
- Medical Surveillance Program
- Decontamination Procedures
- Emergency Response Plan
- Recognizing Hazardous Waste
- Types of Hazardous Waste
- Characteristics of Hazardous Waste
- Hazardous Waste Identification Process
- Solid Waste
- Waste Exclusions
- Listed Wastes
- Evaluating Exposure to Hazardous Waste
- Surface Contamination and Monitoring
- Monitoring for Contamination of Equipment and Tools
- Monitoring for Dermal Exposure
- Air Contamination and Monitoring
- Control and Prevention
- Personal Protective Equipment Standards
- Using Safer Chemicals
- Engineering Controls and Work Practices
- Handling and Labeling Drums and Containers
- Sanitation of Temporary Work Sites
- Record Keeping
- Additional Resources
Our OSHA Hazardous Waste Safety training course consists of content, graphics, audio, self-check questions, and a final exam.
It will take a MINIMUM of 2 hours to complete this online course. The student may log on and off as needed. A bookmark will be set so when they log back in they will return to where they left off.
We have no restrictions on how long a person takes to complete a course.
Likewise, if you are purchasing for others, we have no time limit on assigning courses. So you can purchase a larger quantity then you currently need and take advantage of volume discounts.
All employees must be certified to confirm that they have been trained by a designated professional to perform their jobs safely and effectively. The level of training required by each employee depends on the nature of the job and his or her job level. For example, as the type of training program may be different for workers who are routinely on site, for workers who receive minimal exposure to hazardous waste, for emergency response personnel, and for first responders and HAZMAT specialists.
All of these positions require annual refresher training.
OSHA requires that employers develop and implement a training program for all employees, contractors, and subcontractors who are exposed to safety and health hazards during hazardous waste operations.
Upon successful completion each student will have immediate access to a printable OSHA Hazardous Waste Safety training certificate and wallet card.
Each student will receive 0.2 CEUs (or 2 CMEs) from Compliance Training Online® for completing this course.