Who Is Taking This Course? (required)
Select this if you are purchasing this course to take yourself. It will automatically be assigned to you.
Yourself & Others
Select this if you are purchasing more then one of these courses for both yourself and others. One will be assigned to you automatically, and you can assign the remainder at any time after you have completed the purchase.
Select this if you are purchasing one or more of this course for others. You can assign them at any time after you have completed the purchase.
Different agencies have issued safety recommendations and regulations for the use of lasers in the workplace. This online course is based on regulations as outlined in OSHA, ANSI Z136, CDRH Federal Laser Product Performance Standard (FLPPS), IEC 60825-1, NFPA Code 115 and NFPA Code 70.
Who must take this course?
Industries that operate high-powered lasers are required to appoint a laser safety officer (LSO) to ensure that safety regulations and safe work practices are followed by all workers.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
Specific topics covered in this course include:
- About This Course
- Section 1-Course Objectives
- Section 2-Introduction to Industrial Laser Safety Officer Training
- Section 3-Basic Laser Concepts
- What is a LASER?
- Laser Radiation
- Laser Safety
- Industrial Laser Uses
- Common Industrial Laser Types
- Laser Safety Regulations-Vocabulary
- Laser Safety Regulations-OSHA
- Laser Safety Regulations-ANSI
- Laser Safety Regulations-CDRH
- Laser Safety Regulations-IEC
- Laser Safety Regulations-NFPA
- Laser Safety Regulations-Summary
- Section 4-Laser Safety Officer
- LSO Qualifications
- LSO Responsibilities
- Laser Safety Program
- Laser Safety Committee
- Laser Supervisor Responsibilities
- Employee Responsibilities
- Section 5-Laser Classification
- Laser Hazard Considerations
- Laser Hazard Classifications-Verifying Manufacturer Classifications
- Laser Hazard Classifications-Class 1
- Laser Hazard Classifications-Class 2
- Laser Hazard Classifications-Class 3R
- Laser Hazard Classifications-Class 3B
- Laser Hazard Classifications-Class 4
- Embedded Laser Classification
- Laser Application Environment
- Laser Application Environment-Indoor
- Laser Application Environment-Outdoor
- Application Personnel
- Section 6-Hazards
- Laser Injury Statistics
- Beam Hazards
- Beam Hazards-Eye
- Symptoms of Eye Exposure
- Beam Hazards-Skin
- Beam Hazards Summary-Skin and Eye
- Non-Beam Hazards
- Electrical Hazard
- Fire Hazard
- Guidelines to Reduce Electrical and Fire Hazards
- Collateral and Plasma Radiation
- Guidelines to Reduce Collateral and Plasma Radiation
- Laser-Generated Airborne Contaminants
- Compressed Gas
- Laser Dyes and Solvents
- Guidelines to Reduce Chemical Agents
- Human Factors
- Section 7-Hazard Control Measures
- Engineering Controls
- Protective Housings
- Protective Filters
- Key Controls
- Warning Systems
- Beam Pathways
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Protective Eyewear
- Protective Clothing
- Barriers and Protective Curtains
- Administrative Controls
- Standard Operating Procedures
- Education and Training
- Controlled Access
- Warning Signs
- Special Controls
- Special Considerations-Laser Disposal
- Section 8-Medical Examinations
- Types of Medical Examinations
- Section 9-Summary
- Section 10-Additional Resources
Our Industrial Laser Safety Officer Training course consists of content, graphics, audio, self check (non-scored) questions, and a final exam.
How long is the course?
It will take a MINIMUM of 3 hours to complete this online course. The student may log on and off as needed. A bookmark will be set so when they log back in they will return to where they left off.
We have no restrictions on how long a person takes to complete a course.
Likewise, if you are purchasing for others, we have no time limit on assigning courses. So you can purchase a larger quantity then you currently need and take advantage of volume discounts.
Accepted Industry practice requires that Industrial Laser Safety Officers be retrained every three years.
Upon successful completion each student will have immediate access to a printable Industrial Laser Safety Officer Training certificate and wallet card.
Each student will receive 0.3 CEUs (or 3 CMEs) from Compliance Training Online® for completing this course.