This online course satisfies the training requirements for OSHA 29 CFR § 1910.147 The control of hazardous energy or lockout tagout.
Who must take this course?
All authorized employees who service or maintain equipment, as well as equipment operators and any other affected employees who work in the area where lockout tagout is being performed (not including persons in the construction, agriculture and maritime employment) are required to take this training to meet OSHA compliance requirements for lock out tag out in (29 CFR 1910.147(c)(7)).
Other Frequently Asked Questions
Specific topics covered in this course include:
- About this course
- Hazards overview
- OSHA overview
- Control of Hazardous Energy standard
- Equipment and energy hazards
- Movement/rotation, including rolling, cutting, punching, shearing, binding, bending, shaping, reciprocating, etc
- Temperature, such as extreme heat and cold
- Pressure, including high and low pressure
- Hazardous atmospheres (generated by the equipment operation, such as carbon monoxide from a generator or fumes from a plastic mold)
- Chemical, such as solvents, oils, degreasers, process fluids, etc
- Biological, such as contamination from food production, unclean surfaces, stagnant water, rusty edges, etc
- Application of the standard
- Energy control program
- Periodic inspection
- Protective materials and hardware
- Tagout devices must warn against hazardous conditions
- Energy isolation controls and application
- Authorized employees
- Affected employees
- Established procedures
- Preparing for shutdown
- Shutting down the machine or equipment
- Isolating the machine or equipment from its energy source
- Applying the lockout or tagout device
- Handling stored/residual energy
- Verifying the isolation
- Lockout/Tagout release
- Authorized employee(s) Machine or equipment inspections
- Authorized employee(s) Employee repositioning or removal
- Affected employee notification
- Additional requirements for temporarily energizing
- Clear the machine or equipment of tools and materials
- Remove employees from the machine or equipment area
- Remove the lockout or tagout devices
- Energize and proceed with testing or positioning
- De-energize all systems and reapply energy control measures
- Outside personnel/contractors
- Group Lockout/Tagout
- Specific requirements
- OSHA Appendix
- Safe work practices
- Successful energy control program
- Basic steps
- New machinery/equipment
- Group lockout/tagout
- Separate energy control procedures
- Unique lockout/tagout devices
- Additional information
- Final Exam
Our online OSHA control of hazardous energy (lockout/tagout) training course consists of content, graphics, audio, non-scored quiz questions, and a final exam.
It will take a MINIMUM of 2 hours to complete this online Lockout/Tagout (Control of Hazardous Energy) course. The student may log on and off as needed. A bookmark will be set so when they log back in they will return to where they left off.
We have no restrictions on how long a person takes to complete a course.
Likewise, if you are purchasing for others, we have no time limit on assigning courses. So you can purchase a larger quantity then you currently need and take advantage of volume discounts.
OSHA 29 CFR 1910.147(c)(7)(iii)(A-C) states:
Retraining shall be provided for all authorized and affected employees whenever there is a change in their job assignments, a change in machines, equipment or processes that present a new hazard, or when there is a change in the energy control procedures.
Additional retraining shall also be conducted whenever a periodic inspection under paragraph (c)(6) of this section reveals, or whenever the employer has reason to believe that there are deviations from or inadequacies in the employee's knowledge or use of the energy control procedures.
The retraining shall reestablish employee proficiency and introduce new or revised control methods and procedures, as necessary.
Upon successful completion each student will have immediate access to a OSHA Lockout/Tagout - Control of Hazardous Energy training printable certificate and wallet card.
Each student will receive 0.2 CEUs (or 2 CMEs) from Compliance Training Online® for completing this course.