What are the governing regulations?
Section 1910 of 29 CFR covers the OSHA-defined first aid requirements of general industries, section 1926 of 29 CFR covers first aid in the construction industry.
Sections 56, 57, 75, and 77 of 30 CFR covers the MSHA-defined first aid requirements in both the surface and underground mining environments.
Who must take this training?
Employers, Managers, Supervisors and Employees all have the responsibility of ensuring a first aid program is properly implemented in their workplace and therefore all should take this online training course.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
Specific topics covered in this course include:
- About This Course
- Course Objectives
- Introduction to First Aid Overview and Training
- Key Terms
- OSHA Requirements
- MSHA Requirements
- State Laws
- Overview of First Aid Programs and Requirements
- Core Elements for a Program
- Risk Assessment
- Designing a Program
- First Aid Program Requirements
- OSHA General Requirements: General Industries
- OSHA General Requirements: Construction
- OSHA First-Aid Kit Requirements: General Industries
- OSHA First-Aid Kit Requirements: Construction
- MSHA General Requirements: Mining
- MSHA General Requirements: HazCom Training
- MSHA First-Aid Kit Requirements
- Bloodborne Pathogen Exposure Plan
- Best Practices for First Aid Program Compliance
- Implementing a First Aid Training Program
- Teaching Response in a Health Emergency
- Teaching Scene Assessment
- Training Assessment and Refresher Training
- External Certifications
- Considerations Prior to Providing First Aid
- First Aid Responder Responsibilities
- Preparatory Actions Before Administering First Aid
- Critical Incident Stress Management Overview
- Critical Incident Stress Management Techniques
- Ethics and Legality of Administering First Aid
- Barriers to First Aid
- Situational Assessment
- Non-Life Threatening Emergencies
- Life-Threatening Emergencies
- Communicating in an Emergency: General Industries/Construction
- Communicating in an Emergency: Mining
- Evaluating a Patient
- Types of First Aid
- First Aid Versus Medical Treatment
- Airway First Aid
- CPR Procedures
- AED Procedures
- Conscious Choking
- Controlling External Bleeding
- First Aid Care for Burns
- First Aid Care for Poisoning
- First Aid Care for Head, Neck, or Spinal Injuries
- First Aid Care for Stroke Victims
- Additional Resources
Our Workplace First Aid Overview training course consists of content, graphics, audio, self check (non-scored) questions, and a final exam.
It will take a MINIMUM of 2 hours to complete this Workplace First Aid Overview training online course. The student may log on and off as needed. A bookmark will be set so when they log back in they will return to where they left off.
We have no restrictions on how long a person takes to complete a course.
Likewise, if you are purchasing for others, we have no time limit on assigning courses. So you can purchase a larger quantity then you currently need and take advantage of volume discounts.
MSHA requires annual training for both Part 46 and Part 48 Miners. This course can be used to help satisfy the annual training requirements.
OSHA has not specified any time frame for required retraining or recertification for Workplace First Aid Overview. Since there is no OSHA standard dealing with this specific hazard the OSH Act general duty clause, section 5(a)(1), 29 U.S.C. 654(b)(1) defines the standard which provides that:
(a) Each employer -
(1) shall furnish to each of his employees employment and a place of employment which are free from recognized hazards that are causing or are likely to cause death or serious physical harm to his employees.
A recognized hazard is a danger recognized by the employer's industry or industry in general, by the employer, or by common sense. The general duty clause does not apply if there is an OSHA standard dealing with the hazard, unless the employer knows that the standard does not adequately address the hazard.
Upon successful completion each student will have immediate access to a printable Workplace First Aid Overview training certificate and wallet card.
Each student will receive 0.2 CEUs (or 2 CMEs) from Compliance Training Online® for completing this course.
Very good refresher.
Apr 15 2020
For more comments about our courses please see our page.