Who Is Taking This Course? (required)
Select this if you are purchasing this course to take yourself. It will automatically be assigned to you.
Yourself & Others
Select this if you are purchasing more then one of these courses for both yourself and others. One will be assigned to you automatically, and you can assign the remainder at any time after you have completed the purchase.
Select this if you are purchasing one or more of this course for others. You can assign them at any time after you have completed the purchase.
This online DOT Hazmat Transportation Carrier Requirements (Rail) course satisfies the modal–specific training requirements found in 49 CFR 174 and Part 172, Subpart H of the Hazardous Materials Regulations.
Who must take this course?
All Hazmat employees of rail carriers, rail shippers, and rail tank car owners. A "Hazmat employee" is anyone who, during the course of employment, directly affects hazardous materials and dangerous goods transportation safety.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
Specific topics covered in this course include:
- About This Course
- Course Objectives
- Introduction to DOT HAZMAT Rail Training
- Hazardous Materials Regulations (HMR)
- Regulatory Agencies
- Training Requirements
- Hazardous Materials Table (HMT)
- Columns 1-10 of the HMT
- Appendix A and B
- How to Use the HMT
- Hazard Classes
- Subpart A - General Requirements
- Inspecting Shipments
- Expedited Movements
- Hazardous Material Disposition
- Delivery at Non-Agency Stations
- Delivery at Agency Stations
- Exceptions for Railroad's Hazardous Materials
- Subpart B - General Operating Requirements
- Shipping Papers
- Notice to Train Crews
- Nonconforming or Leaking Packages
- Subpart C - Handling and Loading Requirements
- Marking and Placarding of Rail Cars
- Tank Cars
- Segregation Table
- Table Legend
- Compatibility Table
- Subpart D - Handling of Placarded Rail Cars, Transport Vehicles, Freight Containers, and Bulk Packaging
- Switching Operations
- Position in Train
- Maximum Allowable Operating Speed
- Placarding Group Table Key
- Subpart E - Class 1 - Explosive Materials
- Loading Class 1 - Explosive Materials
- Forbidden Mixed Loading and Storage
- Damaged or Astray Shipments
- Division 1.1 or 1.2 Explosive Materials
- Car Certification
- Routing Shipments
- "Order-Notify" or "C.O.D." Shipments
- Record of Change of Seals
- Car Magazine
- Loading Division 1.2 and 1.3 Explosive Materials
- Loading Division 1.4 Explosive Materials
- Subparts F & G - Class 2 - Gases and Class 3 - Flammable Liquids
- Class 2 and Class 3 Special Handling Requirements
- Class 2 - Gases - Material Cylinders
- Class 3 - Flammable Liquid in Tank Cars and Materials Extremely Poisonous by Inhalation
- Class 2 - Gases - Tank Delivery
- Class 2 - Gases - Extremely Poisonous by Inhalation Involving the DoD
- Subparts J & K - Class 6 - Poisonous Materials and Class 7 - Radioactive Materials
- Division 6.1 Poisonous Materials
- Class 7 - Radioactive Materials
- 49 CFR Part 179 - Specifications for Tank Cars
- §179 Subparts A and B
- §179 Subparts C and D
- §179 Subparts E and F
- Incident Reporting and Security
- AAR Security Plan
- Additional Resources
- Final Exam
Our DOT Hazmat Transportation – Carrier Requirements (Rail) Training course consists of content, graphics, audio, self-check questions, and a final exam.
It will take a MINIMUM of 2 hours to complete this online course. The student may log on and off as needed. A bookmark will be set so when they log back in they will return to where they left off.
We have no restrictions on how long a person takes to complete a course.
Likewise, if you are purchasing for others, we have no time limit on assigning courses. So you can purchase a larger quantity then you currently need and take advantage of volume discounts.
According to the DOT,
Each hazardous materials employee must be periodically retrained at least every three years.
Upon successful completion each student will have immediate access to a printable DOT Hazmat Transportation – Carrier Requirements (Rail) training certificate and wallet card.
Each student will receive 0.2 CEUs (or 2 CMEs) from Compliance Training Online® for completing this course.