Who Is Taking This Course? (required)
Select this if you are purchasing this course to take yourself. It will automatically be assigned to you.
Yourself & Others
Select this if you are purchasing more then one of these courses for both yourself and others. One will be assigned to you automatically, and you can assign the remainder at any time after you have completed the purchase.
Select this if you are purchasing one or more of this course for others. You can assign them at any time after you have completed the purchase.
The regulations regarding the training of miners, specifically those involved in coal mining, all underground metal and nonmetal mines, and other surface metal and nonmetal mines that are not included in Part 46, are found in 30 CFR Part 48. The requirements set forth in these regulations are mandatory. There are two subparts of the MSHA Part 48 regulations. Subpart A deals with the mandatory requirements for training programs for miners working underground. Subpart B deals with the training of miners at surface mines and the surface area of underground mines.
Who must take this course?
This course is designed for operators, supervisors, safety personnel, and all other individuals who work at underground mines, and are involved in creating, implementing and completing a training plan.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
It will take a MINIMUM of 2 hours to complete this online course. The student may log on and off as needed. A bookmark will be set so when they log back in they will return to where they left off.
Upon successful completion each student will have immediate access to a printable certificate and wallet card for MSHA Part 48 Training Plan proof of training.
We have no restrictions on how long a person takes to complete a course.
Likewise, if you are purchasing for others, we have no time limit on assigning courses. So you can purchase a larger quantity then you currently need and take advantage of volume discounts.
Each student will receive 0.2 CEUs (or 2 CMEs) from Compliance Training Online® for completing this course.
Our MSHA Part 48 Training Plan training course consists of content, graphics, audio, self-check questions, and a final exam.
This course will guide you through each element of an accepted MSHA training plan, to prepare you for writing a plan specific to your mine site.
To ensure that the training has been thoroughly taught and comprehended, a set of evaluation procedures must also be developed.
An overview of the following topics are covered in this course:
- About This Course
- Course Objectives
- Introduction to the MSHA Part 48
- Fatality and Injury Statistics
- Key Terms
- Key Terms for Subpart A
- Key Terms for Subpart B
- Training Programs
- Approved Plans
- MSHA Mine ID Number
- Designated Person Responsible for Training
- MSHA-Approved Instructors
- To Qualify as an Approved Instructor
- Revoking the Approved Status of an Instructor
- Cooperative Training Program
- Teaching Methods
- Course Materials
- Training Time Allotted
- New Task Training of Miners
- Record Keeping
- Evaluation and Effectiveness
- Training of New Miners - Subpart A
- Training of New Miners - Subpart B
- Newly Employed Miner
- Experienced Miner Training - Subpart A
- Experienced Miner Training - Subpart B
- Training Miners in a New Task
- Annual Refresher Training - Subpart A
- Annual Refresher Training - Subpart B
- Hazard Awareness Training
- Compensation for Training
- Construction Work
- Maintenance or Repair Work
- The Training Plan Process
- Miner Requests for Approval
- Miners' Representative Review
- Training Plan Submission
- Training Plan Disapproval
- Training Plan Approval
- Operator Responsibilities
- Independent Contractor Training
- Additional Resources
This MSHA Part 48 Training Plan is a Guide to help the student with an understanding of the necessary elements and requirements of creating a training plan for their specific mine site.