Select this if you are purchasing this course to take yourself. It will automatically be assigned to you.
Yourself & Others
Select this if you are purchasing more then one of these courses for both yourself and others. One will be assigned to you automatically, and can assign the remainder at any time after you have completed the purchase.
Select this if you are purchasing one or more of this course for others. You can assign them at any time after you have completed the purchase.
Enter the number of persons who will be taking this course.
The EPA Agricultural Worker Protection Standard (WPS) is aimed at reducing the risk of pesticide poisoning and injury among agricultural workers and pesticide handlers. The WPS offers occupational protections to over two million agricultural workers and pesticide handlers who work at over 600,000 farms, forests, nurseries, and greenhouses in the United States. The WPS requires that owners and employers on agricultural establishments provide protection to workers and handlers from potential pesticide exposure, train them about pesticide safety, and mitigate the dangers of any pesticide exposures that may occur. Though the WPS covers both workers and handlers, the content of this course focuses on WPS requirements that apply to pesticide handlers and their employers.
Who must take this course?
Anyone who is exposed to pesticides on the job, and their employers, should understand the hazards of unsafe exposure to pesticides and be familiar with safe work practices that minimize the risk of poisoning or injury. Pesticides can sicken people, especially those who work directly with the pesticides. By law, agricultural employers must provide information and the equipment necessary to protect their employees from the harmful effects of pesticides.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
It will take a MINIMUM of 2 hours to complete this online course. The student may log on and off as needed. A bookmark will be set so when they log back in they will return to where they left off.
Upon successful completion each student will have immediate access to a printable certificate and wallet card.
We have no restrictions on how long a person takes to complete a course.
Likewise, if you are purchasing for others, we have no time limit on assigning courses. So you can purchase a larger quantity then you currently need and take advantage of volume discounts.
Each student will receive 0.2 CEUs (or 2 CMEs) from Compliance Training Online® for completing this course.
Our Pesticide Handling Training course consists of content, graphics, audio, self-check questions, and a final exam.
This course is instructive for both handlers and their employers. In order that all parties understand how pesticides can be handled safely there will be a discussion of recommended safety guidelines for the activities commonly involved in pesticide jobs. The sections will detail the specific EPA Worker Protection Standard requirements that employers must adopt and enforce in order to remain compliant and provide their employees with effective protection from pesticide hazards.
Specific topics covered in this course include:
- About This Course
- Course Objectives
- Introduction to EPA Pesticide Safety Training
- What Are Pesticides?
- Introduction to the EPA Agricultural Worker Protection Standard
- Pesticide Exposure Types
- Pesticide Exposure Health Risks
- Injury Statistics
- Key Terms
- Pesticide Handling Safety
- Transporting Pesticides
- Storing Pesticides
- Mixing and Loading Pesticides
- Cleaning Up Pesticide Spills
- Cleaning Pesticide Containers
- Disposing of Pesticides and Pesticide Containers
- Flagging for Aerial Application
- Applying Pesticides
- Cleaning Up After Handling Pesticides
- Responding to a Pesticide Exposure Emergency
- Pesticide Exposure First Aid
- EPA Agricultural Worker Protection Standard
- Information, Protection, and Mitigation Requirements
- Employers and Pesticide Uses Covered by the WPS
- Pesticide Uses Not Covered by the WPS
- Protected Parties
- Agricultural Owner Exemptions
- New WPS Requirements
- Employer Requirements for Protecting Workers and Handlers
- Centralized Information
- Pesticide Safety Poster Criteria
- Centralized Information Accessibility
- Pesticide Safety Training
- Handler Trainer Qualifications
- Required Content for Handler Training
- Decontamination Supplies
- Employer Information Exchange
- Emergency Assistance
- Additional Employer Requirements for Protecting Pesticide Handlers
- Restrictions During Applications and Requirements for Monitoring Handlers
- Specific Instructions for Handlers
- Equipment Safety
- Personal Protective Equipment
- When to Replace or Dispose of Personal Protective Equipment
- Exceptions to Personal Protective Equipment Requirements
- Closed System Exceptions to Personal Protective Equipment Requirements
- Enclosed Cab Exceptions to Personal Protective Equipment Requirements
- Aircraft Exceptions to Personal Protective Equipment Requirements
- Additional Resources
Handlers and workers must be trained once at least every five years, counting from the end of the month in which the previous training was completed
Other related Compliance Training Online® courses (see our complete list of courses) include: