Select this if you are purchasing this course to take yourself. It will automatically be assigned to you.
Yourself & Others
Select this if you are purchasing more then one of these courses for both yourself and others. One will be assigned to you automatically, and can assign the remainder at any time after you have completed the purchase.
Select this if you are purchasing one or more of this course for others. You can assign them at any time after you have completed the purchase.
Enter the number of persons who will be taking this course.
This online fire extinguisher training course satisfies the training requirements of OSHA 29 CFR § 1910.157 Portable Fire Extinguishers Standard.
Who must take this course?
According to OSHA 29 CFR 1910.157(g)(1):
Where the employer has provided portable fire extinguishers for employee use in the workplace, the employer shall also provide an educational program to familiarize employees with the general principles of fire extinguisher use and the hazards involved with incipient stage fire fighting.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
It will take a MINIMUM of 2 hours to complete this portable fire extinguisher online course. The student may log on and off as needed. A bookmark will be set so when they log back in they will return to where they left off.
Upon successful completion of this course each student will have immediate access to a printable Portable Fire Extinguishers training certificate and wallet card.
We have no restrictions on how long a person takes to complete a course.
Likewise, if you are purchasing for others, we have no time limit on assigning courses. So you can purchase a larger quantity then you currently need and take advantage of volume discounts.
Each student will receive 0.2 CEUs (or 2 CMEs) from Compliance Training Online® for completing this course.
Our Portable Fire Extinguishers Training course consists of content, audio, graphics, self check questions and a final exam.
This course covers the OSHA 29 CFR 1910.157 standard for portable fire extinguishers. It describes the standard, risks, placement, use, maintenance, and testing of portable fire extinguishers provided for use by employees.
Specific topics covered in this course include:
- About This Course
- Course Objectives
- Introduction to Portable Fire Extinguishers
- Key Terms
- Portable Fire Extinguishers - History and Background
- Portable Fire Extinguishers - Overview
- Statistics for Portable Fire Extinguishers
- Responsibilities - Fire Brigades
- Responsibilities - Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Applicable Regulations for Portable Fire Extinguishers - Governing Authorities
- Applicable Regulations for Portable Fire Extinguishers
- Proper Portable Fire Extinguisher Use
- When to Evacuate
- Source and Types of Fire
- Size and Type of Extinguisher
- Type of Extinguisher System
- Classes of Portable Fire Extinguishers
- Air-Pressurized Water Portable Fire Extinguishers
- CO2 or Dry Chemical Portable Fire Extinguishers for Class B Fires
- CO2 or Dry Chemical Portable Fire Extinguishers for Class C Fires
- Class D Portable Fire Extinguishers
- Class K Portable Fire Extinguishers
- Risk Mitigation and Safe Work Practices for Portable Fire Extinguishers
- Portable Fire Suppression - Fire Extinguisher
- PASS Method
- Best Practices and Hazards
- Emergency Action Plan
- Fire Prevention Plan
- Educational Programming Training
- Hands-on Training
- Additional Resources
According to OSHA 29 CFR 1910.157(g) An employer must:
Provide an educational program to familiarize employees with the general principles of fire extinguisher use and the hazards involved with incipient stage fire fighting [29 CFR 1910.157(g)(1)]. Provide this education when employees are first hired and once a year thereafter [29 CFR 1910.157(g)(2)].
Train employees (who have been designated to use fire fighting equipment in the emergency action plan) in the use of the equipment [29 CFR 1910.157(g)(3)]. Provide this training when employees are first given this assignment and once a year thereafter [29 CFR 1910.157(g)(4)].
Other related Compliance Training Online® courses (see our complete list of courses) include:
- OSHA Aerial Boom Lift Safety
- OSHA Ammonia Refrigeration
- Arc Flash Safety
- OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens
- OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens for Tattoo Artists & Body Piercers
- OSHA Industry Chemical Hazards & Toxic Substances
- OSHA Cold Stress & Injury Safety
- OSHA Confined Space Entry
- OSHA Confined Space Competent Person/Supervisor
- OSHA Cranes, Derricks & Hoists
- OSHA Crude Oil Hazards
- OSHA Dipping, Coating, and Cleaning Operations Training
- OSHA Water Safety, Drowning, Hazards
- OSHA Electrical Safety
- OSHA Exit Routes, Emergency Action Plans, Fire Prevention Plans, & Fire Protection
- OSHA Eye & Face Protection
- Firefighter Confined Space Entry
- OSHA General & Maritime Silica Safety
- OSHA Fork Lift Training
- OSHA Hand & Power Tool Safety (General Industry)
- OSHA GHS Hazard Communication (Right to Know)
- OSHA Hearing Conservation & Protection
- OSHA Heat Stress & Illness Safety
- OSHA Hot Work General Industry
- OSHA Ionizing Radiation Safety
- OSHA Labor & Industry Ergonomics
- OSHA Ladder & Stairway Safety
- OSHA Laser Safety
- Industrial Laser Safety Officer
- OSHA Lockout Tagout
- OSHA Machine Guarding
- OSHA Mold Abatement, Remediation & Removal
- OSHA Office Ergonomics
- OSHA Oil and Gas Extraction
- OSHA Oil Spill Cleanup Hazards Overview
- OSHA Outdoor Biological Hazards
- OSHA Personal Protective Equipment
- OSHA Respiratory Protection
- OSHA Scissor Lift Safety
- OSHA Walking Working Surfaces
- OSHA Trenching & Excavation Safety
- Workplace First Aid